Thursday, June 5, 2014

Taco Bowl

This is pretty much a staple in my diet. Its easy to omit the rice and corn to make this paleo, however I have no sensitivity to grains and I find my body just loves them. So I have no issues eating any grains, beans or lentils. 

Beef 
Ground beef cooked fully and drain off fat
Add cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano and salt if needed. I also like to add cayenne and ancho chili when I need extra kick. I add some water and let it simmer and steam away until it dries out. This just allows the flavor to really sink it, at least thats what I tell myself.

Mexican Rice
First add oil of choice, I like coconut oil. I throw this together approximately so play with it until your happy, I am not much for doing things the same way each time.
Add rice to your pot, I make big batches so about 2-3 cups. Add about 2tbsp oil and cook this on medium until your rice is looking toasted but not brown, just a bit puffed up. 5ish minutes. Add in ground cumin and garlic powder (not garlic salt). Add as much or as little as you want. I typically put 1-2 tsp garlic powder and the same of cumin.
Then add your water with chicken stock added in and about 1/4-1/2 cup of tomato sauce. If you want to use all fresh chicken stock be my guest but I am lazy and use bouillon. Go ahead and judge. I would add the liquid slowly so you cover your rice but about 1". I am strange with rice...I am not afraid to mess with it after I begin cooking with it and honestly if it gets too wet, just open the lid and let it dry up on a low temperature. I am pretty unconventional as I am sure your picking up. I really like a dry rice, no sticking together so I just leave my lid off after all the water is absorbed until I get it just right. Sometimes I get it perfect, other times not so much. 

The green salsa is a favorite of mine that I buy at a local store. I also make a pretty killer salsa but you will need to wait for that recipe because I have an anxious baby crawling all over me.

The rest is pretty standard. Tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro and any other things you might like!


No comments:

Post a Comment