Thursday, June 5, 2014

This is inspired by and paleo orange chicken recipe my friend shared with me. I took the idea and ran with it!


Caramelized Pineapple Mandarin Chicken.

Ingredients:
1/2 Walla walla onion
1 anaheim pepper
4 mandarin oranges
zest of 1 orange
honey
garlic chili sauce
soya sauce
2 chicken breasts
1 bunch cilantro
1 bunch green onion
1 romaine lettuce
sesame seeds to garnish
Jasmine rice
Coconut Oil

Begin with cutting your chicken into thin strips that are ideal for cooking quickly. Warm a tbsp of coconut oil in your pan and cook chicken until done but do not overcook. Set aside. this is a good time to start your rice.

Next warm 1 tbsp coconut oil in you pan and add in thingly sliced onion. Cook over medium heat until them are beautifully caramelized. Remove and set aside with your chicken.

In another pan add the juice of 4 mandarin oranges or more depending on how much liquid you want to end up with, it will boil down a lot. Add the zest of 1 orange. Add a squirt of honey if you like sweetness but there will be other sweet things so feel free to skip this, I just had a major sweet tooth today. Add 1 cup of diced fresh pineapple and 1/2 a cup liquid. Add 3 tbsp of soy sauce and 1tbsp of garlic chili paste. Let this all bubble on high for a few minutes then turn down to medium. Add in a full diced anaheim pepper. If you want more spice I would add in a jalapeno here as well thinly sliced. I also think in the fall id love this dish with a bit of cinnamon, so play around. Now let this simmer with the lid on for a few minutes until it looks like bubbly caramel candy and you want to dive in. Add the chicken and caremlized onion now. Let it heat and then take off the stove. 

I was hoping to make this dish into lettuce wraps but my romaine is just a bit too small still so I ate it as pictures. 

Place your lettuce lovingly at the bottom of you dish, add rice, followed by your chicken mixture and garnish with green onions and cilantro fresh from the garden! I found the more cilantro I added the better it was. Also add sesame seeds if you want. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment