Friday, October 30, 2020

on forgiveness

 on forgiveness


Maybe forgiveness is softly spoken in, "I'm sorry" 

or mixed into cookie dough and new memories.


But when did I edge my way out of the joy?

What did I sacrifice until I succumbed?


I heard echo's of words trying to be spoken,

the great Siren's song, luring me to the shore.


The barnacle covered crags of my weather worn heart,

too tattered a thing to endure.


But her bosom was soft,

and I needed that.


Satiate my wounds, cloak me in things that sparkle,

things that remind me of the stars I am born out of.


He said, "The dead are done with their declarations" (Radar)

I heard, "What words have I yet to live? What memories have I yet to create?


What papers have I yet 

 to honor my soul in?


Lend to me just another moment, just another chance,

to shed my unbearable truths and show you how I used to shine.


Before all of this, my sparkle was bright.

Before all of this. Before I would fight.


Before, the dust swirled and danced, melded and molded

and formed, into me.


Let us add the eggs, the butter, the sweet

sugar. Let us make something new.


Let it taste as good as it feels

...to forgive.


Katie Vaino


Works cited


Radar, Dean "History", www.kenyonreview.org,

 https://kenyonreview.org/kr-online-issue/2017-julyaug/selections/dean-rader-763879/









2 comments: